Thursday, September 19, 2013

My First Day of Writing



 I had my first full day of writing the other week. I have to say I was very excited but also nervous. I’ve never had a whole day dedicated to writing before. It seemed very indulgent and so incredibly amazing. 

Writing energises me. I love it and to be doing something that I love for a whole day. Wow, what an awesome thought. But what does one do with a whole day of writing? Would I really be able to sustain my concentration for a whole day on my writing project? Does a writer really sit at the computer all day and just reel off thousands of words for a eight hours? I didn’t want to be wasting my time. After all, I do have a family and I can’t just be whittling a day away when maybe I should be doing something that might actually be earning money right at this moment.

So I wanted my writing day to count because it’s important and also because I have two writing days a week.

So I prayed about it and I thought about it and planned it. I also tried to remember anything that I’d read or heard from other writers about how they organised their days.

So here is what I did and you know, it took up the whole day and it was fantastic.

I re-read what I had written last. The last time I had written anything actually was quite a while ago. We’d been moving interstate and staying with other people, house hunting than setting up our house and trying to get settled. So my writing had taken a back seat for a while. At first I was quite discouraged. What I had last written seemed so boring and trivial. But as I read and thought and started to write again I got more and more excited. I also decided that I would journal on my writing days. I try and listen to some interviews with writers or some sort of writing thing like going back over old modules from my online courses. I also blog and try and keep up with facebook, goodreads, kidsbookreview and other writers blogs and websites.

So that was what I did and it used up a whole day. And I’m so glad that I get two days!

No comments:

Post a Comment