Saturday, June 11, 2016

Read, Read, Read

I have been told that one of the best ways to become a good writer is to read and read and read and
read. Well, anyone who knows me knows that I love reading!
So, I’ve decided to share some of the beautiful books that I have been reading. Hopefully it will be a benefit to someone who might be looking for good books to read and also to help me with my writing.

The first thing you’ll notice about my reading list is that most of them are children’s books. Probably, the most obvious reason for this is because I write children’s books. I also know children’s books can be brilliant.

Madeline L’Engle, who wrote ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ said, “If the book is too difficult for grown-ups then you write it for children.”

Of course, not all children’s books are worth reading or writing about but I hope to share some of the books that are, in my little and very biased opinion, gems.

I’ll start with a book that I randomly picked up at the library and absolutely loved.

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall

 
The Penderwicks are lost, they are on their way to a new holiday destination and their beloved dog, Hound has eaten the map.
This beautiful novel about the adventures of four sisters one summer holiday will have you nestling down and getting lost in their world.

The Penderwick girls are as different to each other as the four seasons. Rosalind, the eldest feels it is her duty to care for everyone in the family, particularly her four-year old sister Batty. Batty was born a couple of days before the girl’s mother died of cancer and Rosalind was given special care of her baby sister. Sky, who comes after Rosalind has her head entirely in the mathematical cloud that surrounds her. Jane can think about only one thing, the story she’s writing. As different as the girls are, their loyalty to their family comes first.
When they have to change their holiday plans at the last minute the family sets off to a little holiday cottage in the mountains. What they find there is a grand mansion with sprawling gardens, runaway rabbits, grumpy bulls and a boy whose life they help change forever. Now if they can only steer clear of Mrs Tifton and rescue poor Jeffery, the summer will be perfect.
The Penderwicks is a hilarious, gentle, heart-lifting story. It will delight readers from ages 8-12 and adults. If you love it, you’ll be thrilled to know that it’s the first in a series of five.


No comments:

Post a Comment