Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Books are Better than Movies

Everyone knows that books are better than movies, especially movies of books.

I had to chuckle when that very statement was conveyed so eloquently in a movie about a book, Tomorrow When the War Began. I read the book and it was better, of course. 

One of the major reasons for this, I think, is because the emotion that a writer can convey in a book is so much deeper than an actor can show in a movie. A writer can show what is in different characters heads. A writer can convey thoughts and emotions at the same time and of course with a lot more time and space to do it in. It must be incredibly tricky to try and convey the depths of emotion through speech, facial expression and of course music. There is really only so much that can be achieved in a movie and it’s enough, if there is just the movie.

Of course there are horrifically written books out there as well but I'm talking specifically about movies of books.

I watched The Hunger Games before I read the books and I watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy before I read the books. I loved the movies they were fantastic, in fact it was watching the movies that inspired me to read the books. And it was fine for The Lord of the Rings because I watched all three movies before I read the books. However, I only watched The Hunger Games and then proceeded to devour all three books, because I couldn’t put them down and then I watched the second movie and I was so incredibly disappointed. The emotion was flat as a tack. It may have had to do with the actors or the script writers, whatever but man I’m not sure I even want to watch the last two movies.

When I was in primary school one of the older student was conducting a science experiment. She gave me a section of a book to read and then took my pulse as I read the book. I felt so incredibly embarrassed and exposed, because the section she gave me to read wasn’t a chase scene; it wasn’t a nail biting fight or emotionally wrenching death scene, it was the romantic part of the book. I can’t remember exactly what it was about but I do remember hoping beyond hope that my pulse would stay steady; gritting my teeth and trying to remain unmoved by the writing.

It really is such an incredible experience to be pulled into a book so much that you’re emotionally drawn in. I know it can happen in movies, I’ve cried in movies before but I think with a book, it can go deeper.

And I think to be able to write like that must take experience. A writer must have to know first hand what it’s like or have experienced similar emotions to what they are communicating; grief, heartache, love etc. to be able to even attempt to put emotions into words.

I read once that writers must be able to tap into their raw emotions and put them on paper or else the writing falls flat. Writers must be bold and honest even to the point of vulnerability in sharing their inner most feelings to be able to connect emotionally with readers. Phew, talk about a long D&M and sometimes with millions of readers.

I am beginning to realise how much courage it takes to write from your heart; the deep part of it that’s sometimes hard to listen to and share it with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment